The art of Kevin Blythe Sampson

THE ART OF
KEVIN BLYTHE SAMPSON

4/26/10

What the hell is happening to America and please Black America, don’t buy into the non-sense. Arizona, immigration and my people

3a

I made my rounds today, picking up materials for a piece of art work that I am doing. In the process as usual, I ran my mouth along the way.

I spoke to probably ten people, including a group of black folks that I know standing in front of my friend’s liquor store.

They were discussing stuff as usual, including the new immigration bill.

Many of them, most of them were saying that the bill is a good thing, send everyone back to Mexico.

They are taking our jobs.

I about lost what was left of my mind.

I snapped sorry.

You are fools, when our grandfathers grew up, when our relatives grew up

A common retrain that I even heard in my life, was "why don’t you go back to Africa".

How dare you support a bill that is inherently racist and immoral? That oppresses poor people who desire nothing more than bettering their lives.

How dare you

Arizona’s Effort to Bolster Local Immigration Authority Divides Law Enforcement

Members of the Law Enforcement Engagement Initiative, a group of police leaders pressing for a federal overhaul of immigration law, said they worried that other states would copy Arizona, despite the likelihood that the law will be challenged in federal court.

“Just because it is in Arizona doesn’t mean it’s likely to remain there,” said George Gascón, the chief of the San Francisco Police Department and a former chief in Mesa, a Phoenix suburb. “We are very concerned about what could happen to public safety.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/22/us/22immig.html

What the hell is wrong with black people?

We are becoming more conservative than those crazy right wingers

Those people

Those brown people in Arizona are my brothers and sisters

And if I were there……….

I be out in the streets singing my old slave songs and we shall over come

How dare you

Don’t you realize that if states were allowed to make their own laws that you probably wouldn’t be able to vote in certain parts of this country today?

That you still be sitting in the back of the bus

Why should these people be oppressed, when you know that business brought them into this country to exploit them and pay them substandard wages.

The are just following the exploitative jobs that big business made for them,

So they could pay them nothing and make a lot of money

I was talking so fast that I couldn’t breath

I can’t take this foolishness any more

And thank God that Al sharpton has the good sense to be behind these oppressed people and to put his money where his mouth is

Black folks, know the ropes better than any one, should be standing shoulder to shoulder with our brown brothers.

Not bitching about what we don’t have, if we don’t have it then it’s our fault

We have a black president now and our excuses are over

And by the way don’t start harassing Obama telling him to make a lot of new programs, that are a waste of money and time……..We knew the drill, we have to fix our own mess on the grass roots level,

Where was I

Get our there and help our fellow brown people

And maybe in the process we can be restored to the things we have forgotten.

Like family and church and the community

And while we are at it

How long do you think it would take before some one black is affected by this law?

What about Africans and Haitians, and Indians,

What about the other states I cant even imagine what some states might do after this……it’s a open door to hell……………

Fools fools

And while we are at it

And don’t just stop with people of color

Oppression is oppression and pain is pain

I watched that memorial service for the coal miners with the president

And it broke my heart

And when that country and western singer sang that song

I could feel every word he was singing

Yes that country and western song was rocking

And if you couldn’t understand its beauty

If you couldn’t feel the pain in that song as much as you could

In a Billy Holiday tune…………………

Then you are missing out on so much

If you can’t see that poor is poor and that even if that even if those coal miners

Don’t get you

You should get them…………….

Fools

You can’t be for black rights if you aren’t for brown rights

You can’t be for black rights if you aren’t for woman’s rights, and gay rights

And the rights of the oppressed around the world

And while we are at it,

You can’t love people if you don’t care about the planet

Black people, grow up

And remember

I have got to pull out the Rev. Doctor

King wanted freedom and help for all people

All people

That’s what we shall over come……………. means

We the people of the world

I left, out of breath

And hoping that I was heard

No comments:

Post a Comment